When we were still planning on living in Kuching for 3 years, one of the places that I was really looking forward to frequenting was Damai Beach. Damai is about a half hour drive north of the city and I had heard it is beautiful.
Since I wasn't sure if I'd have the chance to return to Kuching after this visit, I just HAD to go to Damai. So, Heather, Amanda, and I decided to plan an overnight girls' trip to the beach!
Getting close - Amanda with Mount Santubong in the background...
We're here!! Damai Beach Resort!
Our beach hut...
Resort grounds...
Beach right at our doorstep...
Damai Sunrise...mmmmm
Love these girls!
Goodnight Damai Beach...
Before we headed back to Kuching the next day, Amanda, Heather, and I took a short walk over to the Sarawak Cultural Village - another place I was eager to see...
Here are some pics of the gorgeous "village." The Cultural Village is a big living museum where visitors can go to see how the people of Sarawak live - you can tour replicas of the various cultural homes, see how they make their food and handicrafts, and enjoy live music and cultural dances at the daily shows.
The cultural dances...
Starting our tour of the various "villages."
The Chinese house...
Bedroom in a typical Chinese village home in Sarawak...
Making rice!
The Malay house...built on stilts - a visitor approaching would climb the outdoor staircase as they announce their arrival. There is a veranda where the visitors wait until they are welcomed in to the house.
Front room of the Malay house - designated for the men, official occasions, and entertainment of guests.
Next was the Melanau tall house. According to the Sarawak Cultural Village's website, "The Melanau people make up 5.8% of Sarawak's population. They now mostly live in the central coastal region, but were once more widely scattered. They traditionally lived near the sea within reach of pirates. As a means of protecting themselves, the Melanaus built massive houses forty feet above the ground."
The Melanau people love their stairs. Here's Amanda climbing yet another set...
Making sago - a starchy food made from sago palms. The Melanau people prefer sago to rice, which makes them unique from other Malay tribes.
The Orang-Ulu tribal longhouse. Orang Ulu means "up-river dwellers" as the majority of the Orang Ulus live in the middle and upper reaches of Sarawak's longest rivers.
Now if Johnnie and I were in a Borneo tribe, I'm pretty sure it would be this next one...the Penans. They are the nomads...totally our style. :) The Penan huts are built to last only a few weeks or months, until the food runs out in the area - then the group moves to the next place.
The Iban longhouse was the next stop...
Taken from the Cultural Village's website: "About one-third of all Sarawakians are Iban; while some of them live in towns or individual houses, a large number still prefer longhouses."
The community all lives in one long house and the individual families each have their own space (doors are located along the left wall of this main room).
Swinging Iban style...
This is what some of the tribes' bridges look like...a little scary to cross...
Last house - the Bidayuh longhouse...
The Barok - the round "head-house," where meetings and ceremonies take place.
This is the kitchen. Where are the double ovens??
It was so nice to be able to see all of the different Sarawakian homes, even if it wasn't the real deal.
After the Village, our friend Casper came to pick us up and he took us to the Santubong beach on our way back to the city. So pretty...
Such a fun girls' trip! Just wish I could teleport back to Damai right now!



























































0 comments:
Post a Comment